PDA

View Full Version : Underground Tunnels at Gablingen, Sheridan Kaserne, Augsburg, & Munich

Richard T Eger
08-02-2000, 11:41 PM
From 12 O'clock High!:

MARK D.
underground airfield (fliegerhorst)
Sat Jul 15 02:24:56 2000

Having been stationed at Fliegerhorst Kaserne near Hanau, Germany, I have become quite interested in what is reputed to be under the airfield. Over the years, there
have been cave-ins in the streets, revealing a huge network of underground tunnels and three bunkers for aircraft storage directly under the airfield. I have searched for
entrances but have only found sealed-off or burried tunnels. Several individuals stationed there in the 70's told me that they have explored these tunnels somewhat,
although they risked punishment for doing so. I cannot find any plans or documents relating to this supposedly "secret airfield" other than it was used for
radar-equipped aircraft and launched night raids early in Luftwaffe history (found in the Hanau military library). Any information on this subject would be greatly
appreciated ----Mark

Richard T Eger
08-02-2000, 11:42 PM
From TOH!:

Jaap Woortman
Underground airfields.
Sat Jul 15 09:45:13 2000

See www.almgraph.com/fsa/gabhist.htm (http://www.almgraph.com/fsa/gabhist.htm)

Jaap

Richard T Eger
08-02-2000, 11:42 PM
From TOH!:

mark d.
thanks
Sun Jul 16 02:29:52 2000

thanks for the interesting link in reference to underground aircraft bunkers. I wish there was a site like that for Fliegerhorst Kaserne, or at least info on what Luftwaffe
units were stationed there.

Richard T Eger
08-02-2000, 11:43 PM
From TOH!:

Dan O'Connell
tunnels
Sun Jul 16 03:19:23 2000

Thanks for the link. Neat stories about the tunnels!