View Full Version : SG 101

Richard T Eger
09-04-2004, 03:59 PM
From 12 O'Clock High!:

Mark R.
wahkita@worldnet.att.net
Schlachtgeschwader Chain of Command
Tue Aug 24, 2024 23:42

Hello, this is my first time posting anything, however, I am very impressed with the depth of knowledge I have seen on this site. Plus I recognize a number of authors names...
I normally do not research LW topics, but having just finished editing the Seventh Army War Diaries for Normandy, I decided to examine the Luftwaffe's participation in that campaign a bit more closely. On the surface, it seems as if the LW did more than the ordinary landser (or his commander) would give them credit for. If anything, German pilots faced even more daunting odds than infantry or panzer soldiers. In my initial bout of research (prior to recieving two orders from the PRO and a planned trip to Maxwell AFB) within whose chain of command did SG 101 and SG 103 fall? I do not see them listed under Luftflotte 3. Any help would be greatly appreciated and I hope to be able to return the favor soon.

Sincerely,

Mark Reardon

Richard T Eger
09-04-2004, 03:59 PM
From TOCH!:

Steve W.
SG 101 and SG 103
Wed Aug 25, 2024 00:37

These were training (school) Geschwader that came under the training chain of command. Nearly all matters involving chain of command subordination break down into (1) administrative, (2) operational/tactical, (3) discipline, and (4) housekeeping. In some cases a unit could report to separate bosses for all four of these. So to be more specific you will have to tell us the exact date you are concerned with and which subordination you are interested in.

Steve W.

Richard T Eger
09-04-2004, 04:00 PM
From TOCH!:

Mark R.
Thanks
Wed Aug 25, 2024 03:40

Steve,

My original interest stems from the listing of Luftflotte III assets available to respond to the invasion yet SG 101 and SG 103 were not listed. However, they appeared in operational ULTRA traffic. At least one Gruppe of SG 103 appears to have been caught by American fighters on D-Day (hence you could say they were theoretically "available").Your response makes sense based on the material I have found that discusses these units. They are not listed under Luftflotte III but apparently Fliegerkorps II had some operational arrangement with SG 103 for a short period of time. I based this assumption on an ULTRA message (KV 7138 dated 091705Z/6/44 in which Fliegerkorps II mentions that "I Gruppe SG 103 at Le Mans is being withdrawn from operations" during its update on unit dispositions for 8 June. Obviously I/SG 103 was placed under the operational control of II Fliegerkorps (from some losing organization of course) for a short period of time. I am also assuming that I/SG 103 was the Gruppe equipped with JU-87's that lost eleven aircraft to the 339th and 355th Fighter Groups near Orleans on 6 June.

The references to elements of SG 101 (6th Staffel and Stab Kompanie to be precise) were found in an ULTRA message KV 7472 dated 111412Z/6/44 that reported the transfer on 9 June 44 of that unit from Clermont Ferrand to Bruenn. This report was made by the GAF Station Commander.

I have seen mention of an organization designated 4th Training Fliegerdivision that seemed interested in goings on at Clermont Ferrand. I think that this possibly could be the original parent headquarters of SG 101 and SG 103.

Many thanks for your helpful response.

Sincerely,

Mark

Richard T Eger
09-04-2004, 04:01 PM
From TOCH!:

Steve W.
Addendum
Wed Aug 25, 2024 16:29

SG 101 (Kommodore Maj. Friedrich Lang), which came under 4. Fliegerschuldivision/Luftflottenkdo. 10, was nearly wiped out on the ground at Clermont-Ferrand on 30 April 1944 by 117 8th AAF B-17s. It reported 38 Fw 190s, Hs 129s, Ar 96s, Fw 58s, Bü 133s and W 34s destroyed or damaged. The Geschwader immediately packed its bags and departed for Brünn, and was operating from there by 4 May. A few aircraft remained under repair in the workshops at Clermont-Ferrand with the last of these departing for Czechoslovakia on or about 9 June. SG 101 played absolutely no role in Normandy.

SG 103 (Kommodore Oberst Clemens, Graf von Schönborn) was based at Metz-Frescaty under 3. Fliegerschuldivision/Luftflottenkdo. 10 with Fw 190s and Ju 87s. On 6 June 1944 an all-Stuka Einsatzstaffel was quickly assembled and dispatched to Le Mans to carry out early morning attacks on invasion shipping off the Normandy beaches in the Caen area on 7 June. The Einsatzstaffel was intercepted by U.S. fighters in the vicinity of Voves/24 km SSE of Chartres and destroyed. The Staffel lost 4 Ju 87s shot down, 5 more damaged, 3 crew KIA, 11 WIA and 2 MIA. Needless to say, no combat missions were flown the next day by the Einsatzstaffel. There is no indication from German records that SG 103 took any further part in operations over Normandy. It returned to its training activities at Metz-Frescaty under 3. Fliegerschuldivision.

HTH,

Steve W.

Richard T Eger
09-04-2004, 04:01 PM
From TOCH!:

Mark R.
Addendum
Wed Aug 25, 2024 19:57

Steve,

It helped immensely and makes sense given the relatively few mentions of those units in the many pages of ULTRA messages that I have collected so far. I have found that its easier to obtain information on fighter units as opposed to bomber, ground-attack, and reconnaissance units. However, I think I will hold off a bit on questions until after my trip to AFHRC at Maxwell AFB. Appreciate your time and patience.