The Luftwaffe Archives & Records Reference Group  

Go Back   The Luftwaffe Archives & Records Reference Group > NAMED AREAS OF INTEREST > References & Reference Materials

Old 03-17-2003, 02:31 AM
Administrator

Default Books by Alfons Schertl (pen name Peter Henn)

From 12 O'Clock High!:

Matt from France
Peter Henn post war informations requested please
Wed Feb 5 22:33:59 2003

Hi,

I've already send a post about Peter Henn in december 2002, i was having some of the informations a disered (thanks to Joao Guimaraes. But i still need more, especially post war facts (is he still alive) in order to thanks him for his great book.

Can somebody help me please ?

Sorry for my bad english

PS : To Joao Guimaraes, i have read in a magazine that III/SG4 was the only assault group (equiped with FW190 F8)involved in operation "Bodenplatte", so Peter Henn was certainly one of the III/SG4's pilots from early 1945 to april when he was shot down (for the last time)
Old 03-17-2003, 02:32 AM
Administrator

From TOCH!:

RD
Peter Henn
Thu Feb 6 01:49:54 2003

Matt,

Peter Henn's book has been discussed several times in the past on this board but the topic pops up again from time to time and the few who know just get tired of answering the same question.

Am Himmel blieb keiner, La derniere rafale (1952), The last battle (1954), was written by a german veteran pilot named suposetly Alfons Schertl. Peter Henn is just a pen name.
He wrote a historical fiction obviously based on his own experience. But it's not an autobiography. Consider it as a half novel.

It's too hard to determine what was true from the pure fiction. To his credit, the author doesn't brag about air victories since his "hero" is admitedly a poor shot who doubt he ever was able to damage anything else than his own airplane.

He flew with II/JG 51 under Hauptman Herbert Puschmann and he indeed may have witnessed the demise of his leader on February 3rd, 1944 during an interception of American B-26s.

The counting of the story is very human, ring true in many places and is therefore a enjoyable read but just don't read it as an accurate autobiography which is not at all and was never intended to be.

Take care and keep studying English. You will learn many more things in the future.
Old 03-17-2003, 02:32 AM
Administrator

From TOCH!:

Jeferson Loreto
Confirmation of the information on Peter Henn
Fri Feb 7 16:49:07 2003

For Mr. João Guimarães

Hello my name Jeferson Loreto is and do I live in Brazil, do I possess Peter Henn's book, that was called here in Brazil of " THE Last Burst ", as I read in one of your answers to Matt, Peter Henn is a fictitious name, being the author of the book a pilot whose name Alfons Schertl is, do you confirm this information, because until today, did I think that Peter Henn, roots a truth pilot and your book a biography???

I thank the released attention and I apologize for my English.

Jeferson Loreto
Old 03-17-2003, 02:33 AM
Administrator

From TOCH!:

Matt from France
Thanks
Thu Feb 6 02:43:45 2003

Telling the truth i've got this book in the french edition, and the fact that it's a novel is not writed on (i always thought Peter Henn was the author real name) i'm a little disapointed be the news

I liked this book because the pilot isn't a "hero" like in many germans pilots book (aces claims their victories along books, and some times it's near to be arrogant)

"Peter Henn's" book is more "human" that's what a liked (he known that war was lost for germany, and i don't like Hermann very much, wich seem to be an overall feeling in luftwaffe's pilots community).

Im sorry to asked this questions, but im new in the internet and so i can't know it was asked several times (sorry to boiring you), im also young (23) and not a very good english student (i do my best).

Otherwise, was it true i flew in III/SG4 in bodenplatte operation? And was he gravely wounded for real (he losse his two leggs) ? Finally is he still alive ?

Thanks for your help one more time
Old 03-17-2003, 02:34 AM
Administrator

From TOCH!:

John Manrho
Schertl
Sat Feb 8 12:36:54 2003

An Oblt. Alfons Schertl flew with III./SG 4 on 1.1.45. Is there anything in the book on the Bodenplatte mission???
Old 03-17-2003, 02:34 AM
Administrator

From TOCH!:

Matt from France
Yes
Mon Feb 10 23:06:44 2003

Hi,

As RD talled you in another post, i think the german edition is more accurate than my "badly translated" french edition.
But, i can confirm that the book discribe the III/SG4 attack in "Bodenplatte" operation, i can give you the french text if you want(and you read french of course, but it will be via the forum, because i haven't got a scanner).
Old 03-17-2003, 02:38 AM
Administrator

For other commentary on Anton Schertl and his book, see the topics "Books by Gunther Bloemertz" and "Books on JG 51" on the "References & Reference Materials" forum.

Regards,
Richard
Old 03-17-2003, 02:04 PM
Administrator

From 12 O'Clock High!:

John Manrho
Peter Henn/Alfons Schertl
Sat Feb 8 12:51:20 2003

Who has the book "The last battle" or "Am Himmel blieb Keiner" of Peter Henn (pseud. Alfons Schertl). I am interested in what he wrote about a possible participation in Bodenplatte. I know that a Oblt. Alfons Schertl flew with III./SG 4 and returned early. Is he the same?. The Alfons Schertl of SG 4 died several years ago.
Old 03-17-2003, 02:07 PM
Administrator

From TOCH!:

RD
Re: Peter Henn/Alfons Schertl
Sat Feb 8 16:56:01 2003

The author is sometimes wordy and offers very few specific informations but I found it still interesting to read for some insight can be drawn from the mood, uncertainty, fear of the time.

He said he trained on Fw 190D on which rockets were installed as a experiment but that accuracy was so bad. While stationed at Bade they got once the order to try one mission against the Shermans in the Rhine region near Strasbourg with the specific order to fly as low as possible and to shoot at close range. The AAA was very important. The mission was a complete failure... But here the reader is left with the impression that poor training and inaccuracy of the rockets are just as well to blame as the Allied AAA.

Though to many pilots the war appeared lost they were still hoping for a miracle.

Then they were ordered to abandoned the rockets and to load bombs for the coming Ardennes offensive. They flew several missions, their objective being the town of Bastogne.

Then came December 31st and they were ordered not to load any bombs but to straff the Saint-Trond airdrome were they were shown a picture with a lot of P-47 stationned. Their gastanks were filled to the minimum not allowing for any detour. They were ordered to avoid any dogfight. They rendez-voued above PrUm then the author is suddenly less specific.

Back at the base, officiel communiques were all "Triumph and succes everywhere" to which our leader Jupp answered "All bull... Well maybe other Gruppe got a better result than we did... because in our case it's rather pittyful..." then lamenting against those who planned all this forcing the German pilots to fly above their own flak and counting the number of empty chairs in the evening.

The next days they quickly got the confirmation that the Allies were still stronger than ever in controlling the air.
Then they (the Gruppe) were sent back to the East with instruction to put their rockets back on their aircraft. Objective : to stop the advancing Russian tanks.

I suspect that the French edition is shorter than the German edition and that on the top of cuts here and there the translater didn't always do a good job, some parts looking clumsily written as my English is. Still a good read though.

HTH
Old 03-17-2003, 02:07 PM
Administrator

From TOCH!:

John Manrho
Alfons Schertl
Sat Feb 8 17:07:23 2003

Mmmm, this is reasonable accurate on the events of III./SG 4. Is this the whole text?. Could you copy or scan the pages of dealing with his operations in the west Dec. 1944-Jan. 1945?. If you copy them please send me an e-mail and I will give you my address. Thanks for the help!
Old 03-17-2003, 02:08 PM
Administrator

From TOCH!:

RD
Try to get the German edition
Sun Feb 9 04:53:38 2003

Hi John,

Yes, that's about all there is which is somewhat frustrating. But then again I strongly advice you to get directly the German edition which might contain a little more and just be better written. There must be SOMEONE on this board capable of copying the few pages with the German text for you. I will get back to you in a while if nobody else does it.
Old 04-23-2003, 10:09 AM
Administrator

From 12 O'Clock High!:

Loreto
Aos amigos de idioma português
Wed Mar 12 20:39:50 2003

Me dirijo a todos os amigos de idioma português que utilizam o site 12 o'clock high para obter suas informações sobre a luftwaffe, sei que é meio incomum nos comunicarmos utilizando o nosso próprio idioma, mas faço isto para me identificar junto a vocês.

A certo tempo venho procurando informações sobre o piloto da luftwaffe Alfons Schertl, que escreveu o livro "A Última Rajada" com o pseudônimo de Peter Henn e foi editado pela Flamboyant, o título original da obre é "Am Himmel Blieb Keiner", se alguns dos amigos puderem me ajudar com informações sobre o mesmo, ficaria muito agradecido.

Também quero dizer-lhes que não sou historiador nem ao menos trabalho com qualquer fato sobre a segunda guerra, apenas sou um leitor assiduo de livros sobre o tema e ao ler o livro citado acima e saber que Peter Henn não existe fiquei curioso e desde então procuro informações sobre Alfons Schertl o verdadeiro autor da obra.

Um grande abraço a todos

Loreto

Altavista translation:

To the friends of Portuguese language
Wed Mar 12 20:39:50 2003

I direct to all the friends of Portuguese language who use site 12 o'clock high to get its information on luftwaffe, I know that he is half uncommon in communicating them using our proper language, but make this to identify together the vocês to me.

The certain time I come looking information on the pilot of luftwaffe Alfons Schertl, that wrote the book "the Last Gust" with the pseudonym of Peter Henn and was edited by the Flamboyant, the original heading of obre is "Am Himmel Blieb Keiner", if some of the friends will be able to help me with information on the same, would be very been thankful.

Also I want to say to them that I am not historian nor to the little work with any fact on the second war, am only a reader assiduo of books on the subject and when reading the cited book above and knowing that Peter Henn does not exist I was curious and since then I look to information on Alfons Schertl the true author of the workmanship.

A great one I hug to all

Loreto
Old 04-23-2003, 10:12 AM
Administrator

From TOCH!:

Douglas Jr.
Dica de site
Sun Mar 16 13:34:55 2003

Caro Loreto,

Embora não tenha a resposta para suas dúvidas, talvez o site abaixo seja um bom local de pesquisa:

www.luftwaffe3945.hpg.ig.com.br

O melhor é que está em nosso idioma.

Um abraço e boa sorte.

Douglas.

Altavista translation:

Douglas Jr
Tip of site
Sun Mar 16 13:34:55 2003

Caro Loreto,

Although it does not have the reply for its doubts, perhaps the site below is a good place of research:

www.luftwaffe3945.hpg.ig.com.br

Best it is that it is in our language.

One I hug and good luck.

Douglas.
Old 04-23-2003, 10:15 AM
Administrator

From TOCH!:

Loreto
Obrigado Douglas
Mon Mar 17 12:00:13 2003

Obrigado Douglas

Sou assíduo visitante deste site, inclusive já enviei um email para o desenvolvedor do site, pedindo informações sobre Alfons Schertl, mas não obtive retorno e no site não encontrei nenhuma informação, existe apenas uma foto de Hertbert Puschmann, no dia da morte deste, Schertl era seu ala de elemento.

Agradeço a Atenção.

Loreto

Altavista translation:

Loreto
Debtor Douglas
Mon Mar 17 12:00:13 2003

Douglas Debtor

I am assíduo visiting of this site, also already I sent an email for the desenvolvedor of the site, asking for information on Alfons Schertl, but I did not get return and in the site I did not find no information, exists only one photo of Hertbert Puschmann, in the day of the death of this, Schertl was its section of element.

I thank the Attention.

Loreto
Old 10-02-2003, 12:17 PM
Administrator

For commentary on Henn's book, the reader is referred to the topic "Books by Günther Stedtfeld" on the "References & Reference Materials" forum.

Regards,
Richard