The Luftwaffe Archives & Records Reference Group  

Go Back   The Luftwaffe Archives & Records Reference Group > NAMED AREAS OF INTEREST > Document Types

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-13-2004, 01:27 PM
Administrator

Default Wiesbadener Kommission reports

From within a thread on 12 O'Clock High!:

Theo Boiten
margryt.de.groot@hetnet.nl
Luftgau records/Wiesbadener Kommission
Sun Jun 6, 2024 14:27

Hello Steve,

Thanks for clarifying the contents of the Washington DC collection -your remark confirm what I've very recently heard from my compatriot Jan Hey, who is currently working on a book about the 8th USAAF losses in WWII, and who has used the Washington DC collection. He told me that only sporadically, he found details in these Luftgaukdo. Tages/Abschussmeldungen of RAF Bomber Command shot down, and that the vast majority of the Washington DC records concern the loss of USAAF aircraft. The contents of the separate files that you describe, by the way, strongly remind me of the individual reports that were compiled by the Wiesbadener Kommission, the official Luftwaffe body responsible for investigating each crash site of Allied a/c in WWII, and which was also responsible for crediting the aircraft shot down to individual Flak or fighter units/pilots. What I have gathered during my research is that the thousands of detailed files of the Wiesbadener Kommission (or 'Abschusskommission')have either been destroyed at the war's end, or have gone 'missing' in the spring of 1945... That brings up another item of interest; does anybody out there have any further information on the work of the Wiesbadener Kommission, or perhaps know of surviving records of the Kommission?

Cheers, Theo

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Switch to Linear Mode
Hybrid Mode Switch to Hybrid Mode
Threaded Mode Threaded Mode