The Luftwaffe Archives & Records Reference Group  

Go Back   The Luftwaffe Archives & Records Reference Group > ARCHIVAL INFORMATION > Archives in North Africa & Iraq

Archives in North Africa & Iraq Algeria, Libya, Morocco, Tunisia; Iraq

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-17-2000, 08:38 PM

I am interested in knowing how missions were planned, both from the US and German perspective in Tunisia during the timeframe November 22, 1942 thru Jan 28, 1943. In conversations with American fighter pilots of the 14th FG, 49th FS, they were almost nil. "Today's mission is based on what was seen yesterday." Also,there is no evidence of airmaps. I have personal accounts of several missions, but one in particular is of great interest, during which my uncle, 2ndLt Robert F. Elliott was shot down December 5, 1942 along with Capt Hal Lewis and 2ndLt John Stief at Sidi Nsir, Tunisia after a mission to Bizerte. My family had heard my uncle went down in the sea, but the coordinates of Sidi Nsir are well inland, being between Beja and Matuer. Does anyone have details of this mission or have knowledge about land/sea action? Several kind souls have given me great info including pilots names, and the time of the battle which was about 1330 and lasted about ten to fifteen minutes. No trace of my uncle has ever surfaced, however Capt Lewis and 2nd Lt Stief were confirmed. I have been doing this research since 1979 and have learned a great deal, which I will share with anyone who is interested. I've heard a lot about MACR's lately, but my attempt to get the one in question revealed they did not start until 1943. Thanks much.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Switch to Linear Mode
Hybrid Mode Switch to Hybrid Mode
Threaded Mode Threaded Mode