The Luftwaffe Archives & Records Reference Group  

Go Back   The Luftwaffe Archives & Records Reference Group > NAMED AREAS OF INTEREST > Intelligence Related Documents

Old 07-17-2000, 11:20 AM
Administrator

Gentlemen,

We've recently uploaded a file containing information on the internal structure of the British Intelligence service(s) during the Second World War.

Most of us are familiar with the cryptic office symbols employed by the British (i.e. ADI, DDI); however, few probably understand their origins or specific meanings. This should go a long way toward clearing up any confusion.

You may preview this document via the file below, or download a higher resolution copy <a hrefHERE.

Credit: Phil Butler in <u>War Prizes</u> via Jaap Woortman.

Regards,
Chuck

Old 04-11-2002, 10:34 PM
Administrator

From 12 O'Clock High!:

David
Ranger to Aalborg
Sat Mar 30 17:32:33 2024

On 17-5-44 Wing Commander Johnson led 5 aircraft of 65 Sqn and 2 aircraft of 122 Sqn on a ranger to Aalborg, Denmark. The North Sea was crossed at 3000ft through thick rain squalls. On reaching Aalborg, they engaged various German aircraft in aircombat and claimed 13-1-3. I am seeking details on KG30's losses on this day and any of the other units involved. I have KG100 and JG11's losses. Also, does anyone know what Y service is? This is mentioned in the operations records book for 65 Sqn.
Regards David
Old 04-11-2002, 10:35 PM
Administrator

From TOCH!:

Larry deZeng
The RAF "Y" Service was.....
Sat Mar 30 20:07:54 2024

the radio intercept branch of the Air Ministry. They intercepted all Luftwaffe radio traffic and decoded/decrypted lower level signals. The higher level encryptions (Enigma (ULTRA), Geheimeschreiber, Richtverbindungs-, etc.) were forwarded to Station "X" at Bletchley Park for decryption. From a practical standpoint in the context of the raid that you described, the "Y" Service would have intercepted Luftwaffe air-to-air and air-to-ground radio chit-chat and short encoded messages in the Aalborg area and would have been in a position to provide an estimate of what Luftwaffe units were there, how many aircraft there were, what types and what they were doing. In other words, they provided the RAF with up to the minute tactical intelligence where possible. There were many intercept stations, but the two largest in the U.K. were at Cheadle and Cheltenham, I believe. Most of the intercept operators in the U.K. were Womens' Royal Air Force personnel who were fluent in German.
(Larry)
Old 04-12-2002, 01:36 PM
Administrator

Via email, Larry offered the following additional comments:

"From: Hldeziv@aol.com
To: egerrt@dmv.com
Sent: Friday, April 12, 2024 8:08 AM
Subject: Re: Daily and weekly "Y" Service reports

As for the daily and weekly "Y" Service reports, there were three dozen or more different types. The only ones in the U.S. are at AFHRA Maxwell. The reports were issued by A.I.4/British Air Ministry and carried titles such as:
"Canterbury" Broadcast report (daily)
G.A.F. Fighter R.T. G/S Summary report (weekly)
Pearl/Zip/BMP/D (Day Fighters) (daily)
Pearl/Zip/BMP/N (Night Fighters) (daily)
Pearl/Zip Klavier (daily)

In addition to these 5, there were 33 more that were only issued periodically, most of these being in the Pearl/Zip category. The collection at AFHRA can be found in the records of USSTAF (U.S. Strategic Air Force), which was the supreme U.S. bomber command in Europe that controlled both 8th and 15th AAFs. I believe it's Maxwell decimal 519 (if I'm wrong, then they're in the British Air Ministry records, Maxwell decimal 512). The collection is very large but not complete by any means.

Best, - Larry"

Regards,
Richard

[This message has been edited by Richard T Eger (edited 12 April 2024).]
Old 10-30-2003, 12:58 PM
Administrator

Marcel van Heijkop
mvanheijkop@zonnet.nl
Joint Services POW Interrogation Centre
Tue Oct 14 20:05:15 2024

Dear all,

I wonder if anyone on this board could give me more information about the Joint Services Prisoner of War Interrogation Centre (where most of the captured Luftwaffe airmen were interrogated) and its activities.

1. Is there information/literature available how the interrogation proces was carried out? (Methods used etc.)I have seen the name of Wing Commander Denys Felkin in a lot of ADI(K) documents, but was he the only interrogator?

2. where exactly was the Centre located? I know that it was housed in Trent Park College in Cockfosters, near London, but could anybody provide me with a more detailled map or an address or something like that?

3. Does the building still exist today?

Thanks in advance,

Marcel
Old 12-14-2003, 12:46 PM
Administrator

From 12 O'Clock High!:

mark sheppard
Paperwork carried by Fw190's
Wed Nov 19 17:39:39 2024

Hi all

Remember reading about the Fw190 A-4 which was captured after landing in the UK.

In the subsequent report is reported that the aicraft carried 'documentation'.

I am assuming from this that certain documents relating to the aircraft itself was carried, not say maps from the pilot.

I know he hatch door had a pocket. Believe this carried documents relating to the operation and servicing of the radio and oxygen.

Wondered whether the one in the cockpit might have carried the servicing intervals or flying restrictions?

Just wondered and would be interested in knowing if any documents relating to these questions were actually out there or had been found on digs?

regards

MS
Old 12-14-2003, 12:46 PM
Administrator

From TOCH!:

Artie Bob
A.D.I. (K)
Wed Nov 19 20:48:47 2024

This section of the air intelligence organization was apparently responsible for the collection of information on the Luftwaffe, other than hardware (A.I.2(g)) or communication intercepts(?). POW interrogations are possibly best associated with ADI(K)and there are hundreds of interrogation reports with very detailed and interesting information. Possibly less well known is the collection of printed material: i.e. diaries, logbooks,letters, personal identification papers, technical manuals, etc. As the war moved to the continent and large quantities of Luftwaffe documents were captured, many of these were funneled through A.D.I.(K) and distributed to the groups that would use these as input for various intelligence purposes. So, if a Fw 190 were shot down or surrendered, this group would probably have collected and disemminated any material of this nature that happened to be on board. That being said, normally, the records of an aircraft would probably not carry on board maintenance records nor would the pilot normally carry his Flugbuch. However manuals, diaries, etc. were sometimes found either on the a/c or crew members.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Switch to Linear Mode
Hybrid Mode Hybrid Mode
Threaded Mode Switch to Threaded Mode