The Luftwaffe Archives & Records Reference Group  

Go Back   The Luftwaffe Archives & Records Reference Group > NAMED AREAS OF INTEREST > References & Reference Materials

Old 08-12-2001, 05:45 PM
Administrator

From 12 O'Clock High!:

Wim de Meester
new book about 8th.Air Force
Tue Jul 10 16:29:40 2024

somewhere I heard about a new publication about 8 USAAF losses something like Chorley did with Bomber Command.

Is there anyone you may be able to confirm and give an opinion about this publication?

Thanks and rgds,
Old 08-12-2001, 05:46 PM
Administrator

From TOCH!:

Frank Olynyk
8th Air Force Losses
Wed Jul 11 08:44:54 2024

Several years ago the Eighth Air Force Memorial Museum Foundation published several books on 8th AF losses. They were collectively referred to as Project Bits and Pieces. I have two from 1995:
Heavy Bombers of the Mighty Eighth: An Historical Survey of the B-17s and B-24s Assigned to the Eighth United States Air Force August 1942-June 1945. A catalog by unit and serial number.
Fighter Losses of the Mighty Eighth. A Chronological Survey of Spitfire, P-38, P-47 and P-51 Losses Eighth United States Air Force July 1942-April 1945. By date. Name, unit, serial, location, casualty.

In 1997 they produced three more, of which I have two.
The Mighty Eighth Combat Chronology: Heavy Bomber and Fighter Activities 1942-1945. By date. Losses, pilot only given, MACR, cause, location. Has an index by pilot.
The Mighty Eighty Combat Chronology Supplement. Personnel Associated with Heavy Bomber and Fighter Activities 1942-1945. By Wing, date and unit, listing all crew members, and fates. No details. No index.

The third book which I do not have, was an index to all names, not just the pilot.

These books were put together by Paul M Andrews and William H Adams, although Adams did the Fighter Losses book by himself.

I do not know if these are still available. I believe the first ones from 1995 are no longer in print. The Eighth Air Force Memorial Museum Foundation has a web page, but has no details, just an 800 phone number for contact.

Frank
Old 08-12-2001, 05:47 PM
Administrator

From TOCH!:

John Beaman
Project Bits and Pieces
Wed Jul 11 12:16:22 2024

I recently ordered these books. The five volumes have now been made into four. You may order them from:

PROJECT BITS AND PIECES
P.O. Box 3010
Warrenton, Virginia 20248-1710

The following is the description:

The Eighth Air Force Memorial Museum Foundation Projects Bits and Pieces is a concerted effort to compile and disseminate information on the heavy bombers and fighters assigned to The Mighty Eighth. Currently there are four volumes published:

Heavy Bombers of the Mighty Eighth (1995) is a unit listing of the heavy bombers assigned to the Eighth Air Force, detailing information about each aircraft from its acceptance into the inventory to its final disposition.

The Mighty Eighth Combat Chronology (1997), incorporating information first published in Fighters Losses of the Mighty Eighth (1995), is a chronological listing of significant events affecting those heavy bombers and fighters assigned to the Eighth Air Force.

The Mighty Eighth Combat Chronology Supplement (1997) details the fate and other data of those personnel involved in events cited in the Chronology.

The Mighty Eighth Roll of Honor (1997) is an alphabetical listing of those cited in the Supplement.
Old 10-08-2002, 10:28 PM
Administrator

From 12 O'Clock High!:

Joerg Mezger
US-Losses
Sat Sep 14 22:31:28 2024

Hi everybody,

Can Anybody tell me, how I can get Information about US-plane losses in the WW2. Is there a list or a book like the bomber command losses from W.R. Chorley.
I´m searching for crash sites in the Stuttgart area(South Germany) Thank you.

[This message has been edited by Richard T Eger (edited 08 October 2024).]
Old 10-08-2002, 10:29 PM
Administrator

From TOCH!:

Joss
books about 8th Air Force losses
Sun Sep 15 17:51:52 2024

Indeed there are books about 8th Air Force losses :
"The Mighty Eighth Combat Chronology Heavy Bombers & Fighter Activities 1942-1945", by Paul M. ANDREWS & William H. ADAMS, published by the Eighth Air Force Memorial Museum Foundation.
There's also the "The Mighty Eighth Combat Chronology supplement", by the same author, which gives the full crews of the bombers", but not the place of loss which is stated in the former.
I bought them from East Anglia bookshop in the UK.
You should try to find one in a library and check all the pages with the name Stuttgart, as I've done for my area. Then you can order the corresponding MACRs.
Good Luck

Joss

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Hybrid Mode Switch to Hybrid Mode
Threaded Mode Switch to Threaded Mode