The Luftwaffe Archives & Records Reference Group  

Go Back   The Luftwaffe Archives & Records Reference Group > NAMED AREAS OF INTEREST > Airfields & Mapping

Old 02-06-2004, 12:53 PM
Administrator

Default Underground hangars

From 12 O'Clock High!:

Ed West
Underground aircraft hangars
Fri Jan 16 16:20:14 2024

Did the Germans have underground aircraft hangars? If so, can anyone point me to a book or other source of information about this?

Thanks,
Ed
Old 02-06-2004, 01:03 PM
Administrator

From TOCH!:

Dave
Yes..
Fri Jan 16 23:43:20 2024

...do a search on Google for the TIGHAR organization and there are articles on the search for these.

Dave

(I followed Dave's suggestion and was led to the The International Group for Historic Aircraft Recovery's website at http://www.tighar.org/ . I then entered "underground" in the site's search engine. The articles listed, in general, pertained to Operation Sepulchre:

"Like Chariots In A Pharoah's Tomb At the close of World War Two, so the story goes, underground bombproof hangars were sealed by retreating German forces, or by advancing Allied units fearful of boobytraps, thereby entombing intact Luftwaffe aircraft ..."

Operation Sepulchre also has its own section which can be accessed directly from the homepage. A CD on this operation is offered for sale.

Regards,
Richard)
Old 02-06-2004, 01:04 PM
Administrator

Ed West
Thank you, Dave (nm)
Sat Jan 17 00:08:01 2024
Old 01-22-2011, 12:33 AM

Default Sandhofen and Underground Hangar

I was stationed and visited Sandhofen (Coleman Bks) many times over several years as I was in Army Aviation and my best friend was stationed there multiple times. He was married to a German who grew up there and her father told us that he had been a labor who worked on an underground facility at the air field.

It is an almost exact story that was posted concerning another facility around Stutgart.

Anyway, We looked all over for signs of an entrance or evidence of an underground anything and the closest we came to anything of value was a large, long, deep depression where the Army dumped things. It was very long like a taxiway and at the Closed End there was an extremely large concrete header. Dirt was piled all the way from the ground to the header.

In the middle there is a road that crosses the depression and if you were to drive on this road it lead to "OCS" Old Coleman Stockade.

Any thoughts on this subject?
Old 04-29-2011, 06:22 PM

Default uderground hanger

I was at coleman in 1959-1960. I spent many nights guarding a sealed entrance to underground hanger. We had to guard it at night to prevent entre by souvenir hunters. "we were told it was boobie trapped" the
location was on northeast side of concern. just east of our mess hall
and officers club. It was located in dry river bank, which does not
show on map now. my # 541 837 8507