The Luftwaffe Archives & Records Reference Group  

Go Back   The Luftwaffe Archives & Records Reference Group > NAMED AREAS OF INTEREST > Document Types

Old 06-25-2000, 09:29 PM
Administrator

From 12 O'clock High!:

Richard T. Eger
CIOS (Combined Intelligence Objectives Sub-Committee) Reports
Wed May 24 19:04:37 2024

The following are a sampling of CIOS reports:

"Heinkel-Hirth TL Gas Turbine Engine," by F/Lt. J. W. Addersley, Maj. K. Saddler, and Lt. S. T. Robinson, CIOS Target Number 5/21, Jet Propulsion, Item No. 5, File
No. XXI-5, 25th April, 1945.

"Landing Gear of ME. 262 Airplane," by J. M. Shoemaker, CIOS Target No. 25/162, Aircraft, Item No. 25, File No. XXXII-39, August 1945.

"Gas Turbine Developments," by Dr. C. B. Millikan, CIOS Target Nos. 25/71 & 25/82, Aircraft, Item No. 25, File No. XXXII-45, July 1945.

"Radar and Controlled Missiles," by Maj. N. D. Crane, team leader, CIOS Target Item 1, Radar, Item No. 1, File No. 1-1, compendium of reports from Aug.-Sept. 1944.

"Gas Turbine Development - B.M.W., Junkers, Daimler Benz," by S/Ldr. P. Lloyd, CIOS Target Numbers 5/13, 5/57, 5/64, 5/180, 26/79, Jet Propulsion, Item No. 5 &
26, File No. XXIV-6, n.d.

Regards,
Richard
Old 07-10-2002, 03:41 PM
Administrator

For CIOS reports on the German petroleum industry, see the topic "Fischer-Tropisch Archive" on the forum "Archives on the World Wide Web".

Regards,
Richard

[This message has been edited by Richard T Eger (edited 10 July 2024).]
Old 02-22-2004, 05:21 PM
Administrator

From 12 O'Clock High!:

Richard T. Eger
Postwar reports on Me 262 manufacturing facilities
Fri Jan 30 20:44:13 2024

Dear fellow researchers,

These type of reports have eluded me, so I am coming to you for any help that you might be able to offer.

In Dec. 2024, I spent a week at NARA II in a rather fruitless effort to find such reports. I was directed to a great batch of aerial reconnaissance reports, but what I am looking for would be reports written from primarily a ground view perspective, likely by some type or another of intelligence organization as they followed closely on the heels of the advancing Allied armies. My gut feel is that such organization(s) would have come to the Me 262 Waldwerke and taken many photos and written up an excellent summary report on each one or as a collection of reports. I already have the USSBS 4-part summary report on Messerschmitt. The reports I am looking for might have attempted to compare wartime aerial photography with postwar reality and made a point of how well camouflaged these facilities were. I do have a page in one report obviously taken from another report that highlights with 3 aerial photos how well these facilities were hidden in the forests. What I don't have is the original report that this series of 3 photos came from.

One tack I took in Dec. was to look at 63rd Infantry operations reports as the division swept through this area. The closest I got to a smoking gun was a reference to an organization identified as MII which was supposed to examine these facilities. Does anyone know anything about "MII"?

It is very frustrating and I could sure use some leads as to either an issuing organization, type of report, and/or direct lead into specific files, preferably at NARA II, or that could be ordered up elsewhere such as at the AFHRA.

Sources of photos, reports, anything - could be of help on this - even books.

Thanks in advance for any forthcoming help.

Regards,
Richard
Old 02-22-2004, 05:21 PM
Administrator

From TOCH!:

Lutz Budrass
Re: Postwar reports on Me 262 manufacturing facilities
Sat Jan 31 08:38:10 2024

Dear Richard,

there is a post-war report which might interest you. The German industry as whole was scrutinised between 1945 an 1947 by a three special services which concentrated on production methods, led - in general - by British and US industrial personnell: Combinded Intelligence Objectives Subcommittee (CIOS, US & UK), British Intelligence Objectives Subcommittee (BIOS, UK only) and Field Intelligence Agency, Technical (FIAT, US Only). Among these reports there is one which concentrates on Messerschmitt and the Me 262 in particular: CIOS File Report XXVIII-25: Report on German Airframe Tooling and Methods. Messerschmitt Works. There you find photographs of jigs used at Messerschmitt and, moreover, of the so called Lochbauweise tools which were used in the later stages of Me 262 production. The CIOS reports were distributed among firms interested in "German methods" so that there might be one or he other copy in the US. At least there is collection of all reports in the Imperial War Museum.

Lutz
Old 02-22-2004, 05:22 PM
Administrator

From TOCH!:

Richard T. Eger
CIOS Report
Sat Jan 31 12:43:15 2024

Dear Lutz,

I did run across this report at NARA II in 2024 when I wasn't as focused on this specific objective. I didn't copy it at the time. Does it cover the Waldwerke and, especially, photos taken there?

Regards,
Richard
Old 02-22-2004, 05:22 PM
Administrator

From TOCH!:

Lutz Budrass
Re: CIOS Report
Sat Jan 31 21:36:32 2024

No,unfortunately not. The report is dated July 1945. A Waldwerk near Augsburg was visited, but contained are only photographs taken at Oberammergau: tools and the like but of poor quality.
Lutz
Old 11-21-2005, 09:13 AM

Default CIOS

Dear members of the LWAG,

This summer, I was researching for the "REIMAHG" factory and wanted to deepen the CIOS aspect.

Trough luck, I went to a German university after a short phone call.

What I found, was totally unbelievable. They have almost all the CIOS, FIAT and JCIO reports there. The best of all was that I was able to get a copy of the index. I will shortly start scanning this or put in a database.

If any of you are interested, please let me know.

With kind regards,
Patrick
Old 12-09-2011, 08:05 AM

Hello LWAG,
I have 4 copies of these reports:
German Development of Homing devices, Rockets and Guided missiles, Restricted Cyclotron investigation in Heidelberg, and German research and development in the radio field Lyons Area.

Can anyone tell me the value of these pamplets and how rare they are?

Thank you
Tim Rathbone