The Luftwaffe Archives & Records Reference Group  

Go Back   The Luftwaffe Archives & Records Reference Group > ARCHIVAL INFORMATION > Archives in Northwestern Europe

Archives in Northwestern Europe Belgium, Netherlands, Luxembourg

Old 04-16-2001, 08:37 AM

The Royal Dutch Air Force Historical Section is located in the Hague in The Netherlands. You will find the necessary information for contacting the Section in the PDF file below.

The Section is on walking distance from the Central Railway station in The Hague(Den Haag CS). If you leave the station turn right and after about 10-15 minutes you will arrive at the Koningin Marialaan. At # 17 you will find the entrance of the Section.
You have to leave an identification document at the desk.

The goal of the Section is to study the history of the Royal Dutch Air Force from the date of establishment July 1st, 1913 till today.

In the PDF file at http://lwag.org/reference/rdafhs01.pdf you will find a survey of the files about or related to the Luftwaffe in the Netherlands. Some of them are copies of BA/MA files.

When in the future the inventarisation program has finished I will translate the Dutch text into English.

Jaap
Old 06-14-2001, 02:09 AM
Administrator

From 12 O'Clock High!:

Dr. Christopher J. Glapa
Who Shot Down B-17 43-38845
Sat May 12 16:55:48 2024

My uncle was on a mission from England 31 December 1944 over Hamburg Germany.

He was shot down by the Luftwaffe over Delfzjil, The Netherlands.

Does anyone have any knowledge as to who shot down this B-17.

You may contact me at DRCHRISDDS@AOL.COM

Thank you in advance!

Most Sincerely,

Christopher J. Glapa
Old 06-14-2001, 02:10 AM
Administrator

From TOCH!:

Paul Kamps
Re: Who Shot Down B-17 43-38845
Fri May 18 22:11:05 2024

You might try the following.
G.J. Zwanenburg, En nooit was het stil, kroniek van de luchtoorlog, vol 2, published at Den Haag 199?, or write to Sectie Luchtmachthistorie, Koningin Marialaan 17, Den Haag, PO-box 20242, 2500 ES, Den Haag, which has some good researchers on the subject of air war 1940-1945.
Old 03-28-2002, 08:51 PM
Administrator

From 12 O'Clock High!:

Paul Patist
SF 31.....
Mon Mar 4 11:12:50 2024

Looking for the exact position of SF 31 (Schein Flugplatz) near Ouddorp, Goeree, Holland.

Thanks in advance,

Paul
Old 03-28-2002, 08:52 PM
Administrator

From TOCH!:

Paul Kamps
SF 31 Ouddorp
Fri Mar 8 20:25:40 2024

Dear Paul

The best place to find an answer for this problem is Sectie Luchtmacht Historie, Koningin Marialaan 17, 's-Gravenhage, or try to obtain a copy of En nooit was het stil, by G. Zwaneburg, published by the Koninklijke Luchtmacht, 's-Gravenhage. Or try the local archive at the island.
The funy thing is that this was one of the sf's that was far away of the main base.
Old 03-28-2002, 08:52 PM
Administrator

From TOCH!:

Paul Patist
Thanks, Paul ! (n/t)
Sat Mar 9 14:45:09 2024
Old 05-20-2002, 08:27 AM

Dear Paul,

At December 31st, 1944 a B-17 made a landing 8 KM North-East of Knock, Germany at 13.30 hrs. At Knock was a Flak gun located. Knock is just west of Emden, Germany. Information from KTB Kommandant im Abschnitt Emden from Marine Oberkommando Nordsee. So it looks like the plane crashed in Germany and not in the Netherlands.
This information has also been send to mr.Glapa.
I saw his question and could not resist the urge to answer it. I was born in that area, but on the Dutch side of it!

Jaap
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Trebuchet MS,Verdana, Arial[/IMG]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Richard T Eger:
From TOCH!:

Paul Kamps
Re: Who Shot Down B-17 43-38845
Fri May 18 22:11:05 2024

You might try the following.
G.J. Zwanenburg, En nooit was het stil, kroniek van de luchtoorlog, vol 2, published at Den Haag 199?, or write to Sectie Luchtmachthistorie, Koningin Marialaan 17, Den Haag, PO-box 20242, 2500 ES, Den Haag, which has some good researchers on the subject of air war 1940-1945.
[/quote]

Old 04-10-2003, 11:57 AM
Administrator

From 12 O'Clock High!:

Richard T. Eger
"Missing" material
Thu Feb 27 04:35:51 2024

Dear fellow researchers,

I'd like to throw an idea out for some discussion. Most of us know the classic that the Luftwaffe loss records for 1944 are missing or don't exist. Then there is the contingent that says that only 3% of the Luftwaffe records survived the war.

Now, you go to the PRO, IWM, BA/MA, NARA II, AFHRA, or the National Records Center in Suitland, Maryland. You dive into records others have seen - maybe, except that, frankly, the records are so vast that there certainly remain many, many records that haven't seen a researcher's eyes since WW II, waiting to be discovered. These are the ones that have been cataloged or, at the very least, are accessible to the public.

But, beyond these, what about the "missing" records? I'm not talking about "missing" in the classic sense of something having gotten lost or destroyed, but records packaged up neatly which simply sit in archives or government warehouses pining away for someone to catalog them.

I'm beginning to get a bit of an inkling of this and, quite frankly, it is raising my blood pressure a bit. I just thought I'd toss this out to see if others are familiar with such situations and might like to put in their two cents. Who knows, with enough information brought to hand, there might even be a way to find these missing "Arks of the Covenant" in those huge government warehouses!

Regards,
Richard
Old 04-10-2003, 11:57 AM
Administrator

From TOCH!:

Ruy Horta
Re: "Missing" material
Thu Feb 27 08:19:26 2024

(answered as an enthusiast)

Its worse...

Just think that this material is rotting away, beyond the state of being useful.

It gets even worse then that.

I spoke to a guy who runs the archive of the Dutch AF, and he said that a lot of material is even thrown away for lack of time/space etc. Of course who decides what's interesing enough to safe and what's not?

Just thought I'd mention that if I'd EVER get to the point of being independant in terms of income, I'd try and make it a purpose of a life time to hunt for said material, to create a dedicated central archive and as far as possible scan the material.

Luckily I am not alone when it comes to this subject and many hands make for fast work - in this context its even essential.

Ruy

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Switch to Linear Mode
Hybrid Mode Hybrid Mode
Threaded Mode Switch to Threaded Mode