The Luftwaffe Archives & Records Reference Group  

Go Back   The Luftwaffe Archives & Records Reference Group > ARCHIVAL INFORMATION > Archives in the Mediterranean region

Archives in the Mediterranean region Albania, Greece, Israel, Italy, Malta, Turkey

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-13-2001, 08:05 PM

During my holiday May-June 2024 I have visited three museums at Crete. The first one was a local museum in the village Galatas. The museum is in the centre of the vilage between the local church and the memorial for the battle of Galatas in May 1941. The museum has only one room with several items of the landwar between the New Zealand Division and German Fallschirmjäger. One of the few parts related to the airwar was a piece of corrugated metal from a Ju 52. There were no leaflets or English speaking personnel. The admittance was free.

The second museum was War Museum of Chania. The museum can be found at J.Sfakianaki and Tzanakaki Street, besides Municipal Garden. The admittance is free. The museum is open daily between 09.00 and 13.00 hrs. It is closed on Sundays and Holidays.
The address is:
War Museum of Chania
Stratigou Tzanakaki 1
73100 Chania
Crete, Greece.
Tel.(0821) 44156,(0821) 81061, ext.134

The museum gives information about the freedom wars fought by the Creten people. The information about the German occupation from 1941-1945 is limited. I have seen a 500 lbs bomb and metal chunks. (To prevent a/c wheels of rolling away). I do not know if the were German. Outside was a unique piece of the roof of a German fighter pen. Never seen before. Leaflets available for free.

The third museum was the Naval Museum of Crete. It is located at the harbour of Chania. A good place to have dinner. The address is:
Naval Museum of Crete
Akti Kountourioti
731 31 Chania, Crete, Greece
tel.0821-91875

The entrance cost you Drs 600. About $2. The museum is open from 10.00 til 14.00 hrs every day exept on public holidays. Research facilities are available. The impression I have received during my visit that it was highly professional. Specially World War II, the post war period and the Merchant Navy. The exhibition about the Battle of Crete and the occupation period has 5 rooms and gives a good idea about the fighting and the life under the boots of the Germans. Several Luftwaffe and RAF items were in the exhibition. Unfortunately the staff was not present so I could not get any information about the contents of their library and archive. A letter is on it's way. Several books and leaflets are available for a reasonable price.
I am going back for a next visit and that is for sure.

Jaap

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Switch to Linear Mode
Hybrid Mode Switch to Hybrid Mode
Threaded Mode Threaded Mode