The Luftwaffe Archives & Records Reference Group  

Go Back   The Luftwaffe Archives & Records Reference Group > NAMED AREAS OF INTEREST > Airfields & Mapping

Old 12-25-2000, 12:04 AM
Administrator

From 12 O'clock High!:

Tom S.
Airfields in Germany
Wed Nov 22 17:41:23 2024

Where can I find a list of WW II Luftwaffe airfields and the towns in Germany where they were located?

My father tells a story of a U.S. fighter strafing a German airfield that pranged into the ground because he was too low. The pilot crashed on the airfield and was captured.
Fortunately for him, the war ended the next day. The field would have been in southern Germany, possibly in the French Occupation Zone.

Hope someone can help. Thanks.

Tom S.
Old 12-25-2000, 12:05 AM
Administrator

From TOH!:

Matt Hubert
re: your query
Wed Nov 22 18:09:05 2024

Tom - as far as the airfield specifics, I don't recall off the top of my head. I mean, books have been written on these things, unfortunantly I do not remember which heh heh. I
can say that there were no MACRs filed the day before VE Day (or on VE day) in the ETO. There were a few issued in the PTO however (war was still raging there). If he
was shot down and captured, there is a good possibility there should be a MACR on the aircraft (very rarely are they missed, and pretty much every a/c shot down either
behind enemy lines or in situ where the definate status is unknown has a MACR).

The earliest prior to VE day would probably be on May 3rd. Two a/c were lost in the ETO that day. One was a P-47D(?) from 406th FG, 9th AF which is listed as having
gone down in Germany; MACR #14355 (the last number could be an eight as well; it's tough to read the copied MACR index...the original isn't much better). The other a/c
was a CG47A transport listed lost in the Med, but you mentioned a fighter so that is probably your best bet.

On May 10th, a P-38 went down in Germany as well; I do not know if this was due to late hostilities or if it was due to mechanical problems. The MACR # is unfortunantly
illegible, BUT, you could contact the 67th FG association and they might be able to help you out.

My money says it was probably the P-47. I gotta believe a MACR was filed in this case (stranger things have happened, and it is possible one was not filed, but I doubt that
is the case). The MACR will list last known location and/or location of loss. You can request one via National Archives in College Park, MD. It will be a LONG time before it
gets there tho. if you dont mind private researchers, there are several online, but some of them have a lot of backlog and may not be able to get to it for a few months
(which is probably better than what it will take at NARA).

Best wishes in your research,

Matt
Old 12-25-2000, 12:16 AM
Administrator

From TOH!:

Jaap Woortman
Airfields in germany
Wed Nov 22 21:49:04 2024

Try:
Fliegerhorstkommandanturen und Flugplätze der deutschen Luftwaffe 1935-1945. Martiello. Biblio Verlag. Osnabrück. 2024.
Fliegerhorste und Einsatzhäfen der Luftwaffe. Ries, Dierich. Motorbuch Verlag. Stuttgart.1993.

Jaap

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Hybrid Mode Switch to Hybrid Mode
Threaded Mode Switch to Threaded Mode