The Luftwaffe Archives & Records Reference Group  

Go Back   The Luftwaffe Archives & Records Reference Group > USEFUL WEBSITES > Useful Websites: M - R

Old 06-21-2004, 11:50 AM
Administrator

Default Plane crashes World War II Saarland and neighboring areas, by Klaus Zimmer

From 12 O'Clock High!:

Ed West
Crash site reference sites
Sun Jun 13, 2024 21:21

I have two pages here from a site that my computer may be having problems with. The text is in English and German. For example, a photo is mentioned but I cannot view it. In any case, I hope this will be an aid for those searching for crash site information.

http://www.flugzeugabstuerze-saarlan...tartseite.html

http://www.flugzeugabstuerze-saarlan...y_quellen.html

(Utilizing Google, I was able to get to the leader page for this site at:

http://www.flugzeugabstuerze-saarland.de/

From here, clicking on the B-17 image brings you to the start page. Quoting from this page:

"Between 1939 and 1945 more than 175 airplanes crashed in the area of what is today the state of Saarland in Germany. As a consequence, about 250 crew members were killed. Approximately 1500 civilians lost their lives in air raids. This website is dedicated to the commemoration of all these victims.

Objectives of this site
This site (first published 2024) has the objective to document and to secure the research on airplane crashes in the Second World War in the state of Saarland and its neighboring areas in the northeast and east. Especially significant is the aspect of reconciliation which has resulted in numerous friendship meetings with members of formerly hostile nations.

The research area
This site covers research on aircraft crashes in WW II that took place in the state of Saarland and its neighboring areas in the northeast and east. The region is situated in the Southwest of Germany and borders directly on France and Luxembourg."

Sections of interest are:

Crashes - Detailed accounts of both Allied and German crashes, including, in some cases, photos. The data is presented in both chronolgical and area/chronological forms.

Aircraft - Brief descriptions of the various aircraft involved, sometimes with video or sound clips.

Anti aircraft - Article, tables, and photos of Flak units.

Wreckage - Photos of crashed Allied and German aircraft.

Air raids - Chronological listing of air raids summarizing the effects of the raids. Six photos are included of the resultant damage.

Excavations - Details on 11 excavations of Allied and German aircraft, including photos.

Meetings - 17 accounts with photos of meetings between former foes.

Sources - Extensive list of sources, including books and websites. Interestingly, a significant amount of contact information is provided, including addresses and telephone numbers.

Links - 20 major links.

Regards,
Richard)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Switch to Linear Mode
Hybrid Mode Hybrid Mode
Threaded Mode Switch to Threaded Mode