The Luftwaffe Archives & Records Reference Group  

Go Back   The Luftwaffe Archives & Records Reference Group > ARCHIVAL INFORMATION > Archives in Germany: Bundesarchiv

Archives in Germany: Bundesarchiv (Includes the former DDR)

Old 10-03-2009, 07:20 PM

Default Claim for B-24 shootdowns 29 JAN 1944

The information that I have for Luftwaffe claims for Germany and the West for 29 JAN 1944 is as follows; Uffz, Kurt Stahnke and Ltn. Waldemar Radener both of JG26 each claimed a B-24 near Trier. Oblt. Rudolf Leuschel and Ltn. Dieter Kehl each claimed a B-24 between Niederflorsheim and Worms. Fw. Heinz Gomann claimed a B-24 west of Calais. The only 8th AF B-24 that was shot down on that day to my knowledge was B-24H, 42-7484-1-FO, 392 Bomb Group, 579th Bomb Sq. GC-L , "Sally Ann" Lt. Stukus Crew. I believe that visibility was poor and that having left the Frankfurt am Main area they could have turned to the southwest and then back to the Northwest. At any rate the crew, with the exception of the Bombardier, and Navigator who were killed by machine gun or cannon fire, didn't bail out until they were over Waterloo, Belgium. I was trying to ascertain the actual number of fighters that attacked this lone aircraft. I would like to hear everyones opinion.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Switch to Linear Mode
Hybrid Mode Hybrid Mode
Threaded Mode Switch to Threaded Mode